Graduation of Second and Third Batches
The Graduation Ceremony of the second and third batch of students of the UM-DAE Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences was held on 20th April 2015. Chairman of the AEC Dr. R.K. Sinha, Chief Guest Dr. Anil Kakodkar, Vice Chancellor Dr. Rajan Welukar, Pro Vice Chancellor Dr. Naresh Chandra, Director BCUD Dr. Rajpal Hande, Director CBS Prof. Hosur, and Prof Chitre, Chairman Academic Board of CBS, graced the occasion.
The Thirty-one students who graduated are:
Batch 2008 - Mr. Chandan Kumar, Mr. Jadhav Saurabh, Mr. Mohapatra Abhishek, Ms. Neha, Mr. Praneet Prakash, Mr. Ringe Dhruv, Mr. S. Niranjan, Mr. Sankar Sarath, Mr. Sehrawat Sandeep Kumar, Mr. Yadav Alkesh, Ms. Moudekar Pooja V..
Batch 2009 - Mr. Amar Deo Chandra, Mr. Bhowmick Aklant KR, Ms. Gupta Kriti, Ms. Gupta Shubhangi, Ms. Katyan Navneeta C., Mr. Markande Shashank, Mr. Moitra Saranyo, Ms. Mondal Angana, Mr. Pathak Shashank, Mr. S. Gholam Wahid, Ms. Santwana, Mr. Seta Amit, Ms. Singh Shilpi, Mr. Das Plawan, Mr. Naveen Kumar, Ms. Praharaj Smita Prangya, Mr. Ram Shila, Ms. Padmakar Pious, Mr. Borana Mohanish, Ms. Sheokhand Preeti.
In Batch 2008, Mr. Dhruv Ringe was awarded the gold medal for his overall performance and Mr. Abhishek Mohapatra stood second in his batch.
In Batch 2009, Mr. Mohanish Borana was awarded the gold medal and merit certificate for his overall performance and Ms. Angana Mondal stood second in her batch and was awarded merit certificate.
UM-DAE Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences
UM-DAE Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (CEBS) has been established by Department of Atomic Energy (Govt. of India) in collaboration with the University of Mumbai, for promoting quality undergraduate (integrated M.Sc.) education in a research environment. CEBS invites applications from MSc students for Eleven summer-projects. The project duration can be about two months (14th May to 13th July 2018) and only MSc students (who have completed 1st yr MSc or 8th Sem of Integrated MSc or BS-MS) or above are eligible to apply. However, individual projects may have further prerequisites which are described in this document CEBS will provide excellent education, research training and guidance, laboratory facilities (Chemistry Laboratories, Biology Laboratories, Nuclear Physics Laboratory, Astronomy Laboratory, #eAstroLab, Condensed Matter Laboratory, Computer Laboratory) for execution of these projects. Yielding significant contribution, the summer student may even be considered towards a co-authorship in resulting publications. Students from Universities at remote locations and underdeveloped regions of India are encouraged to apply. On campus hostel accommodation, with a nominal charge as per CEBS rules, will be provided to the students.
Students are required to upload their CV to Google drive and then fill up the following Google form, providing link to that CV (CV must contain a clear passport-size photograph of the candidate). Short-listed students will be asked to provide two recommendation letters to be directly sent to the guide's email address. The dead-line for submitting the application (Google form) is 10th March 2018. Based on this submission, first selection list will be declared on 25th March, but applications will be accepted till all the projects are exhausted. To get instant notification and updates on this programme students may Like the SARP Facebook page www.facebook.com/SARPatCEBS/ Selected candidates will be informed via email from the SARP coordinators (Dr. Ananda Hota & Dr Basir Ahmad). Email inquiries can also be directed to the specific guide of the project in which the student is interested. Email ID of guides will be username at cbs dot ac dot in, where usernames are expressed beside the guide names.
- Prof. Ananda Hota “Black hole-galaxy co-evolution study using GMRT and RAD@home” (username hota)
- Prof Avinash Kale “Anti-depression properties of Indian red Scorpio venom” (username avinash.kale)
- Prof Basir Ahmad “Molecular Biotechnology and Drug Discovery” (username basir.ahmad)
- Prof. Mahendra Patil 1/2) Computational investigation of mechanism of Synergistic catalysis 2/2) Synthesis of biologically active compounds using C-H bond activation(username mahendra.patil)
- Dr. Neelam J. Upadhyay "Studying reactions in nonlocal framework".(username neelam.upadhyay)
- Prof. Neeraj Agarwal "Synthesis and photo physical studies of near IR absorbing BODIPY for applications in photodynamic therapy" (username na)
- Dr. Sanved Kolekar "Gravitation and Black Hole Physics. Quantum effects in curved spacetime.” (username sanved.kolekar)
- Prof. Sinjan Choudhary "Natural and synthetic products based therapeutics for protein aggregation diseases" (username sinjan.choudhary)
- Dr. Sreemoyee Sarkar “Transport Theory in Neutron Star” (username sreemoyee.sarkar)
- Prof. Sujit Tandel “Nuclear Spectroscopy with high-resolution semiconductor detectors” (username sujit.tandel)
- Dr. Sunita patel “Understanding intrinsically disordered state by site-directed mutagenesis in a bgcrystallin: Implication for cataract formation” (username sunita.patel)
- Prof. V.L Sirisha “Osmotic stress-induced metabolite profiling in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii” (username sirisha)
Nuclear Physics Discussion Group @ CBS
|This is a discussion group comprising faculty, postdocs and students primarily from CBS, with participation from other researchers based in Mumbai.
The goals of this group are:
The group presently includes the following members from CBS:
Faculty: S.C. Phatak, S.K. Tandel, A. Bhagwat, M. Hemalatha
Visiting Scientists and Research Associates: N. Upadhyay, D. Negi
Graduate Students: S.G. Wahid, N. Maladkar, P. Roy, D. Kumar
Other group members: B.K. Jain, H.C. Pradhan
Interested Masters' students from CBS are also involved and more are welcome.
Some researchers and visiting faculty from BARC and TIFR also participate in the discussions.
The topics discussed till date are listed below:
Last updated: 5th October, 2016