- Ph.D. Physics Stanford University(USA) (Thesis Advisor: Prof. F. Bloch) (1965)
- M.S. Physics/Mathematics Stanford (USA) (1962)
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics (Honors), Mathematics & Chemistry Science College, Patna Univ.(India) (1957)
- Distinguished Guest Faculty, UM-DAE Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences, University of Mumbai Vidyanagari Campus, Kalina, Mumbai 400 098, India. May 1, 2013 to present)
- Distinguished Guest Professor, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, India. (November 1, 2002 to June 30, 2012) Also, Raja Ramanna Fellow (DAE, BRNS) at IIT Bombay from 2003 to 2008.
- Honorary Professor, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), 1 Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai 400 005. (2003-2008)
- (a)Visiting Faculty : Department of Physics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA. (Short Summer Visits: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010).
- (b)Short Academic Visit: Department of Physics, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA (2013).
- Director & Distinguished Professor, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), 1 Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai 400 005, India.
- Condensed matter theory, including superconductivity and semiconductor physics; Nuclear magnetic resonance; Modes and instabilities in plasmas; Nonlinear optics; Ultra-fast optical processes in semiconductors; Raman scattering; Photonics; Quantum computing; Stability and nature of the ground state of systems of Fermi particles with no electric charge.
Was a Recognised Teacher for M.Sc. and Ph.D. Degrees of the Bombay (Mumbai) University. All students of S.S. Jha have obtained their Ph.D. Degree from the University of Mumbai.
List of Publications: