- Ph.D. (Condensed Matter Physics), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (India), Thesis Title: Field Emission from Carbon Nanotubes: The Influence of Irradiation Induced Defects and Structural Transformations, July 2004-Aug 2009.
- M.Tech. (Solid State Materials), Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (India), Thesis Title: Field Emission from Chemical Vapor Deposition Grown Diamond Films, July 2002-June 2004.
- M.Sc. (Physics), DDU Gorakhpur University (India), Specialization: Electronics, July 2000-June 2002.
- Reader, School of Physical Sciences, UM-DAE Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (India), Research Work: Nanoscale Materials and Optoelectronics, March 2018-Till Date.
- UGC-Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomical Sciences, Central University of Himachal Pradesh (India), Research Work: Nanoscale Materials and Optoelectronics, July 2014-Feb 2018.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Graphene Research Center, National University of Singapore (Singapore), Research Work: Graphene Optoelectronics and Plasmonics, Dec 2013-May 2014.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Nanosciences, University of Bourgogne (France), Research Work: Carbon Nanotube Optoelectronics and Plasmonics, Oct 2010-Sept 2013.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Energy Science, Sungkyunkwan University (South Korea), Research Work: Carbon Nanotube & Graphene based Energy Devices, Oct 2009-Aug 2010.
- Research Manager, Research and Development Division, Nozomi Technotron Pvt. Ltd. (Singapore), Research Work: Synthesis and Applications of Single Crystal Diamond, Jan 2009-Aug 2009.
- Synthesis, Processing and Optoelectronic Applications of Carbon Nanotube, Graphene, and Single Crystal Diamond.
- Surface Plasmon Induced Raman Scattering and Photoluminescence for Individual Molecule Detection and Subwavelength Optical Resolution.
- Electronic Transport, Light Emission and Photo-response in Carbon Nanotube and Graphene Field Effect Transistors.
- Electrical Excitation and Detection of Surface Plasmon Polaritons and Single Photon for Chip-scale Technology.
- UM-DAE Centre of Excellence in Basic Sciences: Electromagnetism (P 303), Reading Project (PPr 701).
- Central University of Himachal Pradesh: Nanomaterials and Technology (PAS 516A), Atomic, Molecular and Laser Physics (PAS 411A), Atomic and Laser Physics (PAS 411), General Physics Lab (PAS 413), Mathematical Physics (PAS 101T), Optics (PAS 204), Optics Lab (PAS 204L), Electricity and Magnetism (PAS 103), Electricity and Magnetism Lab (PAS 103L), Seminar Course (PAS 533), Dissertation Project (PAS 548).
- Development of an Explosive Detection System using Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering Process, S. K. Dubey (PI), P. Rai (Co-PI), Sponsoring Agency: DST, Govt. of India, Budget (INR): 75 Lakhs, Feb 2018-Jan 2021 (Ongoing).
- Carbon Nanotube based Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices, P. Rai, Sponsoring Agency: UGC-BSR, Budget (INR): 6 Lakhs, March 2015-Feb 2017 (Completed).
- Single Crystal Diamond for Scientific and Industrial Applications, P. Rai, Sponsoring Agency: Trushna Exim, Surat, Budget (INR): 10 Lakhs, Sept 2018-Aug 2019 (Ongoing).
- Growth and Applications of CVD Single Crystal Diamond, P. Rai, Sponsoring Agency: Trushna Exim, Surat, Budget (INR): 4.5 Lakhs, Sept 2017-Aug 2018 (Completed).
- Growth and Applications of CVD Single Crystal Diamond, P. Rai, Sponsoring Agency: Trushna Exim, Surat, Budget (INR): 10 Lakhs, Sept 2016-Aug 2017 (Completed).
- Growth & Applications of CVD Single Crystal Diamond, P. Rai, Sponsoring Agency: Trushna Exim, Surat, Budget (INR): 7 Lakhs, Sept 2015-Aug 2016 (Completed).
- Raman Spectroscopy: A Potential Characterization Tool for Carbon Materials; Handbook of Materials Characterization, P. Rai and S. K. Dubey, Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-92955-2 (2018).
- Carbon nanotube field effect transistor based device for generating an electrically controlled plasmon, A. Bouhelier, P. Rai, A. Hartschuh, and N. Hartmann, French Patent No. 68269, Nov 2012.
Selected Journal Publications:
- Momentum Angular Mapping of Enhanced Raman Scattering of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube, P. Rai, T. Singh, T. Brulé, A. Bouhelier, and E. Finot, Applied Physics Letters 111, 043104 (2017).
- Transition from Direct to Fowler-Nordheim Tunneling in Chemically Reduced Graphene Oxide Film, S. Pandey, C. Biswas, T. Ghosh, J. J. Bae, P. Rai, G.-H. Kim, K. J. Thomas, Y. H. Lee, P. Nikolaev, and S. Arepalli, Nanoscale 6, 3410 (2014).
- Electrical excitation of surface plasmons by an individual carbon nanotube transistor, P. Rai, N. Hartmann, J. Berthelot, J. Arocas, G. Colas-des-Francs, A. Hartschuh, and A. Bouhelier, Physical Review Letters 111, 026804 (2013).
- In-plane remote photoluminescence excitation of carbon nanotube by propagating surface plasmon, P. Rai, N. Hartmann, J. Berthelot, G. Colas-des-Francs, A. Hartschuh, and A. Bouhelier, Optics Letters 37, 4711 (2012).
- Silencing and enhancement of second-harmonic generation in optical gap antennas, J. Berthelot, G. Bachelier, M. Song, P. Rai, G. C. Francs, A. Dereux, and A. Bouhelier, Optics Express 20, 10498 (2012).
- Improved electron field emission from morphologically disordered monolayer graphene, S. Pandey, P. Rai, S. P. Patole, F. Gunes, G.-D. Kwon, J.-B. Yoo, P. Nikolaev, and S. Arepalli, Applied Physics Letters 100, 043104 (2012).
- Enhancement of electric double layer capacitance of carbon nanotubes by gallium ion irradiation, P. Rai, S. Pandey, M. Menamparabath, Y. S. Kim, I. H. Lee, P. Nikolaev, and S. Arepalli, Journal of Applied Physics 109, 044308 (2011).
- Dramatic enhancement of the emission current density from carbon nanotubes based nanosize tips with extremely low onset fields; K. S. Hazra, P. Rai, D. R. Mohapatra, N. Kulsrestha, R. Bajpai, S. Roy, and D. S. Misra, ACS Nano 3, 2617(2009).
- Nanotip formation on a carbon nanotube pillar array for field emission application, P. Rai, D. R. Mohapatra; K. S. Hazra, D. S. Misra, and S. P. Tiwari, Applied Physics Letters 93, 131921 (2008).
- Parameter window of diamond growth on GaN films by microwave plasma chemical vapor deposition, D. R. Mohapatra, P. Rai, A. Misra, P. K. Tyagi, B. S. Yadav, and D. S. Misra, Diamond and Related Materials 17, 1775 (2008).