- Ph.D.: Mumbai University, 1978
- Post-doctoral training: ETH, Switzerland 1981-83
Current Research Interest:
- Protein folding : HIV-1 protease, SUMO, DLC8, GED.
- Development of multidimensional NMR methods.
- Protein structure, dynamics and function: SUMO, GED, DLC8.
Areas of Specialization:
- Molecular Biophysics, Structural Biology, Biomolecular NMR, Biophysical Chemistry
Prof. Hosur is carrying out research in the most frontier areas at the interface of chemistry and biology. Structural biology rests on the basic paradigm that structure and function of biological macromolecules are intimately connected. Indeed, knowledge of three-dimensional structure, in many instances, has provided invaluable insights and explanations to biological functions. Further, elucidation of specific interactions between enzymes and their specific substrates, on the three dimensional structures of the macromolecules, have formed the basis of systematic drug design.
In recent years, the basic paradigm of structural biology has expanded to include internal dynamics of biological macromolecules. It is recognized that proteins and nucleic acids exhibit internal motions, at various time scales ranging from milliseconds to picoseconds. While some of these motions are crucial for the functions, some others are important from the regulatory points of view. Folding mechanisms of protein molecules is yet another challenging area of structural biology, which has occupied the center stage of research. This has come with the realization that misfolding of proteins leads to malfunction and diseases.
Some selected publications:
- Ashutosh Kumar, Sudha Srivastava, Ram Kumar Mishra, Rohit Mittal and Ramakrishna V. Hosur, Residue Level NMR View of the Urea Driven Equilibrium Folding Transition of SUMO-1 (1-97): Native Preferences Do Not Increase Monotonously. J. Mol. Biol. 361, 180-194 (2006)
- Ashutosh Kumar, Sudha Srivastava and Ramakrishna V. Hosur, NMR Characterization of the Energy Landscape of SUMO-1 in the Naive-state Ensemble J. Mol. Biol. 367, 1480-1493 (2007)
- Jeetender Chugh, Dinesh Kumar and Ramakrishna V. Hosur, Tuning the HNN Experiment: Generation of Serine-Threonine Check Points J. Biomol. NMR, 40, 145-152 (2008)
- Jeetender Chugh, Shilpy Sharma, and Ramakrishna V Hosur* NMR Insights into a megadalton-sized protein self-assembly Protein Science. (Accelerated Communication) 17, 1319-1325 (2008)
- Jeetender Chugh and Ramakrishna V. Hosur* Spectroscopic labeling of A, S/T in the 1H-15N HSQC spectrum of uniformly (15N-13C) labeled proteins J. Mag. Reson. 194, 289-294 (2008)
- Dinesh Kumar, Jyoti Ranjan Misra, Ashutosh Kumar Misra, Jeetender Chugh, Shilpy Sharma, Rohit Mittal and Ramakrishna V. Hosur* NMR Derived Solution Structure of SUMO from Drosophila melanogaster (dSmt3) Proteins: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics. 75(4), 1046-50 (2009)
- Dinesh Kumar, Subhradeep Paul and Ramakrishna V. Hosur, BEST-HNN and 2D (HN)NH experiments for rapid backbone assignment in proteins J. Magn. Reson. 204, 111-117 (2010)